Wednesday, July 23, 2014

High Key Maddie Study, 8x6", Auction--SOLD

Posted by: Kate

Hey all, here is a little oil sketch of one of my recurring models, Maddie.  You might remember her from "Glad the Birds Are Gone Away."  This sketch was my first experimentation with Natural Pigments' Lead Oil Ground.  People, there is no zinc in it.  Say what?  I know.  I also think the absorption level is just about right so that it's not hard to create either thin washy areas or to build up paint more thickly (although, having started off as a double primed Claessens girl, I will always nurture an unrequited love for a slick surface over an absorbent one.  Brushstrokes from here to next Thursday, if you know what I mean).  Its surface is similar to that of Golden acrylic ground when dry (although silkier and more sensitive, like my upper lip after waxing).  If only it were a teensy bit more slick, I wouldn't even care about the longer drying time and it would steal me away forthwith from my loveless marriage of convenience with Golden acrylic ground.  At the moment I don't have permanent space where I can set up panels to dry, so I've only made a couple of these panels.  Boo.  But as soon as I have my permanent studio up and running (and I'm not in and out of my parent's basement and my garage) I will make some more oil ground panels and talk about it on the blog.


Go here.

No comments:

Post a Comment